Steroid injections are one of today’s most reliable treatments for various inflammatory orthopedic conditions. Combined with other non-operative interventions, these medications provide real symptom relief.
Let’s learn about steroid injections, their benefits, and where you can go to get these injections in Rochester Hills, MI.
What Are Steroid Injections Made From?
Steroid injections are synthetic cortisol, the hormone secreted by the body’s own adrenal gland. Unlike testosterone-based medicines sometimes used by athletes to increase strength and performance, these steroid injections are widely and appropriately prescribed by orthopedic doctors throughout the world. They treat many kinds of acute and chronic inflammatory conditions.
Why Are These Medications Prescribed?
Your orthopedic surgeon may determine that steroid injections would help you control the pain, stiffness, and inflammation associated with degenerative musculoskeletal conditions, such as:
- Rheumatoid arthritis, or RA
- Osteoarthritis, or OA (also called wear and tear arthritis)
- Bursitis, swelling of the fluid-filled cushions in joints such as the shoulder and knee
- Tendonitis, an inflammatory condition affecting the fibrous connective tissues between muscles and bones
- Herniated intervertebral discs, ruptures of the jelly-like substances located within the bones of the spinal column
- Gout, a common form of arthritis which causes deposits uric acid crystals to build up in small joints, such as the metatarsophalangeal joint in the big toe
- Plantar fasciitis, a painful swelling of the connective tissue between the five toes of the foot and the heel bone
- Sciatica pain down the buttocks and leg from a herniated disc or other lower back problem
Common injection locations include the wrist, elbow, and epidural spaces of the spinal column. Usually, the orthopedic doctor uses a topical anesthetic on the target area before injecting the steroid because of the brief discomfort associated with the shot and the drug itself. Also, the doctor places many of these injections with the guidance of ultrasound imaging.
What Are the Therapeutic Effects of Steroid Injections?
Injections of corticosteroids work quickly to relieve the most pressing symptoms of pain and swelling. Full therapeutic effects may take a few days; however, they can last for weeks to months. Physical therapy may make the benefits of these shots last even longer.
However, there are some restrictions to this kind of therapy. Steroid injections are not appropriate if you:
- Are pregnant or nursing an infant
- Taking blood thinners
- Have poorly controlled diabetes or hypertension
- Have an active infection or allergy to steroids
You and your orthopedic spine surgeon will determine if and when you should have steroid injections. Care plans vary according to overall health, age, and other factors.
Expert Musculoskeletal Care at Ahlgren Spine Orthopaedic Surgery
If you are looking for advanced musculoskeletal care, look no further than Ahlgren Spine Orthopaedic Surgery. Dr. Bradley D. Ahlgren is our on-site board-certified and fellowship-trained orthopedic physician. He will discuss your particular musculoskeletal issues with you and advise what care plan would benefit you the best.
To learn more, call us today at (248) 215-8080, or request a consultation with Dr. Ahlgren online. We look forward to seeing you at our Rochester Hills, Bad Axe, or Royal Oak office soon.